Monday, March 30, 2020

Wild Child



image from pinterest.com

Wild Child

“The world is a fascinating place for humans like me.
I’m busy building magic, while half the world is
building wars.”--Nikki Rowe.

Day or night, longitude or latitude, the hour, country,
time zone, karma, hemisphere, ethnicity, parents,
helix lottery, due date, and alignment of the stars--
these are just some of the things to consider when 
you are determining who you are, which is a lot
simpler than figuring out why you are.

I am a Gemini, the wild child of the zodiac. A year
ago I wrote a poem called Twice Born. My two
faces of Cantor and Pollux are conceived back to
back, at first unaware of each other; like the back
of your neck, these faces belong to those around
you, who ultimately will hold up a mirror for your
perusal. At that point you become sentient of your
blessed duality as earthy intellectual, and you
realize being two-faced is a positive asset.

I share my sign with John Wayne, Laurence Olivier,
Bob Dylan, Johnny Depp, Morgan Freeman, Colin
Farrell, Marilyn Monroe, Queen Victoria, Anne Frank,
Nathan Hale, Paul McCartney, Clint Eastwood, 
Lou Gehrig, Judy Garland, Henry Kissinger, Che
Guevara, Wild Bill Hickok, Bob Hope, Jim Thorpe,
Geronimo, Jerry Stiller, Ralph Waldo Emerson,
Walt Whitman, Allen Ginsberg, Mark Wahlberg,
Paul Gaugin, Venus Williams, Brooke Shield, JFK,
and to my chagrin, Donald J. Trump.

The Ides of March are
Gemini, cradled between
winter and the spring.

Glenn Buttkus

Haibun


Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub

13 comments:

Ken Gierke said...

You describe the two faces well, Glenn.

Jade Li said...

You're one of a kind, Glenn <3

kate said...

you are indeed unique, a masterful expose

Dwight L. Roth said...

I had to smile at your last sentence. You and your evil twin! Ha ha! I can see you rolling you eyes. Looks like the weight of all the others who share your sign makes things balance out!

Kim M. Russell said...

I went back to the original poem to refresh my memory, Glenn, and repeat what I said in the comments, I love the way you describe the duality of actor and teacher, and the reference to the heavenly twins, ‘back to back, so they never meet each other’. In ‘Wild Child’, you’ve shared more of the astrological. That’s an impressive list of people who share your sign – except for the last one – now I understand why he’s so two-faced! I love the haiku!

Kerfe said...

We all have them, the two faces. You have embraced yours while most of us hide behind a face that belongs to neither one.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Perfect description of a Gemini!

Gillena Cox said...

I am Aquarius, I think we are the peace keepers,
enjoyed your haibun

much love...

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Wasn't there a movie The Two Faces of Eve???? I seem to recall that. At any rate, I agree with the person who said you are one of a kind, Glen. You may share signs with others....but none grace them as well as you do! Two faces, one spirit!

brudberg said...

To have those two sides is an amazing thing, actor and teacher as well as you and the Trump. Twins have different sides.

indybev said...

A fascinating explanation of who you are! I had to smile to see your birthday is the same as the trumpets. How you must hate that!!! An enjoyable read, Glenn.

Poetry for Healing said...

That was an enjoyable read Glenn. As a Gemini too I can relate. The duality of the sign gives us the ability to see from both sides and act accordingly. I am proud to be associated in some way with all those amazing people who share the sign except for the last one. Need I say more? :(

purplepeninportland.com said...

Wonderful description of the two faces, Glenn. (Sorry aboutTrump)