Monday, March 16, 2020

Love Tales



image from newyorktimes.com


Love Tales

“The course of true love never did run smooth.”
--William Shakespeare.

Three times I shot for the moon, endeavoring to
inhabit a profound relationship. In between, twice,
I spent seven years as a bachelor. In the hippy
60’s, I lived with a woman. She was my pretend
wife. We grew apart.

In the 80’s I married a 20 year old co-worker. It was
a very bad fit. She was my practice wife. After striking
out twice, I became depressed; but I don’t know why
I was surprised every time love started or ended.

I came out of my solitude in the 90’s when I married
a woman with three children. We’ve been married
28 years. Obviously she is my real wife. She, and
the three kids completed me. Now I have an
extended family, including nine grandchildren.

Love has blossomed three times in my life.
Lust has sprung up, weed-like, thousands of times. 


Glenn Buttkus

Prosery

Posted over at d"Verse Poets Pub

18 comments:

brudberg said...

Oh... so seamlessly weaved with the quote. To go through those stages of wives until you found that perfect match. So well described.

sarah said...

Hmm...pretend? Practice?
Well, I'm glad true love came along in the end. I guess we all have to try a few things out.

Jane Dougherty said...

I wonder if the narrator was some woman's practice husband ?

Merril D. Smith said...

No murders! :). I'm glad true love finally came. You worked the line in well.

Glenn Buttkus said...

Jane, this is one of those times that the poet is the narrator. I catch your drift. My second wife moved from our coupling to a totally disastrous marriage that sent her into therapy and hiding.

Susan said...

Good writing, Glenn. I love the ending and your use of the prompt. Well done!

Gillena Cox said...

Nice, luv a happily ever after
Happy Monday

Much❤love

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Well done Glenn- you rocked the prompt.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love that you were third time lucky. In a weird way, so was I. But my soulmate had fur. LOL.

Jade Li said...

Glenn, I think you know when true love has blossomed. You're blessed with it blossoming in the right garden. Some aren't so blessed; either their love blossoms in a wasteland or it never blossoms at all.

Truedessa said...

I like the wisdom that is found in the journey. Everything prepared you for finding the right bloom to share your heart and soul with. May it always be soul.

Peace & love

lynn__ said...

Glad you found your "real wife" and love blossomed! Marriage can be good :)

Kim M. Russell said...

I think we’ve been on a similar road, Glenn. I like the way you wove the prompt quote into your prose and the way you distinguish between blossom and weeds. I’m glad that you found your real wife – and It’s a blessing to have grandchildren. I hope you get to see them in the coming weeks and months of uncertainty.

Mary Hood said...

Lust gets in the way of everything, but glad the marriage is surviving!

Dale said...

This was wonderful, Glenn... and after all that killing, so refreshing!!

Pat R said...

Aah! The 3rd time was the charm. Good for you.

Pat

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Sometimes love takes a journey. Each person adds a bit to who we are....lessons learned....responses internalized....until we find a true life partner. I've always thought one needs to marry a best friend to find a true life partner. I think you've done that! :)

Frank J. Tassone said...

Three times the charm, as they say. Lovely write!