Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Broken Lance



image from reddit.com


Broken Lance

“We should just love, not fall in love, because
everything that falls gets broken.”--Taylor Swift.

There is only one door
to Dreamland,
so we all sleep alone.

This morning I awoke
costumed as Mister Flop Sweat, 
as I staggered
toward the toilet in order
to piss my dreams away;

that place where a legion
of Crusade Templars galloped
over an unknown landscape
in pursuit of godless heathens.

Pilgrims,
we are all
pilgrims,
moaned the mastiff mists
hiding the dark dunes;

because with my lids closed
I inhabit a sunny scenario,
where I have blond locks
and can race the wind--
rather than the light of day
where i belong in the
Army of the Disabled.
not the King’s Guard.

I have noted that
I am never alone
in my dream state--
no, I cavort with the dead,
and travel with faceless figures
from past lives.

Deja Vu is my frequent companion
on many macabre adventures,
where Fords have Hudson grills,
I gobble platypus 4-egg omelets,
and my python speaks French;

and there is this crowded port city
that always feels so familiar to me.
I never know, or can recall,
the city’s name, but oddly
I know all the shops and streets

While in that city,
I clearly have a plan.
If I am broken,
I feel confident
that I can complete
the alterations before
the lightning strikes.

But when I rise to leave,
there is this troll that sits by the door,
saying: You are a tree of broken bones,
with withered limbs, fruitless loins, and
a rotting core--so that when you fall
not even a sparrow will notice.

Liar! I spat: I tell you, your fetid words
shall not shower cremation ash
on my poetic parade...because
I am the one with the pen
and I can write you away!

and I did,
and I do,
night after night.


Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub

11 comments:

Frank Hubeny said...

I feel like I belong there also: "where i belong in the
Army of the Disabled.
not the King’s Guard."

Jade Li said...

They never give up do they. Your poems show mastery of the pen, so easy to see you writing that beastie into oblivion. Write him into a cage, then throw the bastard back where he belongs.

Aside from him, you have adventurous dreams!

Dwight L. Roth said...

Love your opening: It says it all!

There is only one door
to Dreamland,
so we all sleep alone.

You have a really wild and busy dreamlife! You must wake up exhausted!

Well done Glenn!

Kerfe said...

We multiply ourselves in our dreams. You have much better control of yours than I!

kate said...

wow I'd be exhausted by such dreams, great penmanship!

Kim M. Russell said...

Yes, we may sleep in the same bed as another, but we sleep alone and our dreams are peopled with all sorts, mostly familiar faces and places. I love the way your poem shifts between poetic dreams and down-to-earth reality, such as
‘staggered
toward the toilet in order
to piss my dreams away’.
I especially love:
‘I am the one with the pen
and I can write you away!

and I did,
and I do,
night after night.’

Carol J Forrester said...

A really strong poem Glenn.

Poetry for Healing said...

Ah, the pen is mightier than the sword. So true. Glenn I love these lines ...

"Deja Vu is my frequent companion
on many macabre adventures,
where Fords have Hudson grills,
I gobble platypus 4-egg omelets,
and my python speaks French;"

An amazing poem!

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

What a powerful poem. In dreams, we can be whatever we want to be.

lynn__ said...

Glenn, fighting in the King's Guard may be your intriguing fantasy but wielding a mighty pen is your impressive reality!

brudberg said...

I really love how you described the solitude of dreams... there indeed you are not lonely, and all those specters you find I think are really aspects of self...