Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Fleuri Poesie



image from Society6.com


Fleuri Poesie

“The earth laughs in flowers.”
--Ralph Waldo Emerson.

A choice between One
and Sixteen leads
to the latter.

Trump wants more than a
dictatorship; he wants to
be the goddamn Czar.

Was Prince really a purple queen,
or was he something in between?

Trumpland has no yellow brick roads;
rather an infinite trail of tears.

Jack Ice
was a petty thug;
not nice.

New Mexico skies
are dazzling blue, trying
to be electric.

A Topaz ring can
house blue fire, like natural
gas flames turned high.

Being a black woman
is more than a black beauty
or a dusky gem.

There is a bridge in
Seattle called Aurora
and George Washington.

You know I love you
tender and true, and nothing
can diminish it.

I’m just a poet,
not a wizard of words, but
I still can aspire.

An hour before the
sun sets, I gaze upon my
sweet golden acres.

A Disney Arab
character always carries
a long purple sword.

My first spouse was a
lazy housewife, but I stayed
with her for five years. 


Glenn Buttkus

Couplet, haiku, and senryu.

Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub



13 comments:

Jade Li said...

Each poem a colorful flower in the bouquet!

sarah said...

Great senryu series - you really riffed on those words.

Mary Hood said...

I love how you set each of these apart from the other. My favorites are "I’m just a poet, not a wizard of words, but I still can aspire." And "My first spouse was a lazy housewife, but I stayed with her for five years."

Frank Hubeny said...

Nice stanza that I can relate to about my own attempts:

"I’m just a poet,
not a wizard of words, but
I still can aspire."

Ricardo said...

Very nice "Poesia floral" (in my language)

Truedessa said...

I enjoyed the whole series, but the one that stands out the most for me is the following

I’m just a poet, not a wizard of words, but I still can aspire.

You do inspire us in the community.

and love should be tender and true

wishing you and yours health and love...

Gillena Cox said...

😊A string of delight i am smiling

Much💜love

Kim M. Russell said...

Another perfect quote and a colourful image to accompany your ‘Fleuri Poesie’, Glenn. My favourite flowers in the posy are:
‘New Mexico skies
are dazzling blue, trying
to be electric’
and
‘An hour before the
sun sets, I gaze upon my
sweet golden acres’.

Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

A hilarious take and makes smiles us all.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Your words are full of delight and wonder Glenn!

Kerfe said...

I like the way the observations are separate, yet form a chain of thoughts.

brudberg said...

Each poem a little picture... you paint all darkness and beauty of your vast land.

purplepeninportland.com said...

what a wonderful series of poems, each one unique and stand-alone.