Thursday, May 21, 2020

Grab them by the POTUS



image from timelife.com


Grab them by the POTUS

“The concept of global warming was created by the
Chinese in order to make US manufacturing non-
competitive.”--Donald J. Trump.

Lots of blame to go
around, as America’s death
toll rapidly rises.
Beyond finger pointing there
are all those damn “what ifs?”.

Trump cracks me up with
his windmills cause cancer,
and Lysol injections
could sterilize our internal organs,
and Corona just can’t touch him.

I wonder if people had a sense of humor
regarding the Bubonic Plague?
They tell me that even morticians
find a lot to laugh about within
the absurdity of their vocation.

This angry virus
has already killed more people
than we lost in WWII.
Trump’s idiocy has led us like
lemming to the sea cliff’s edge.

I remember as
a kid, the joke,”Why is Arthur Godfrey
like a machine gun?
Because he fires ten employees a
minute .” Does that sound familiar?

Which do I actually fear most,
horrible death from Covid-19,
or the re-election of Donald Trump?
It’s about a toss-up, I guess.
Both would be a terrible catastrophe. 

Glenn Buttkus

tanka, kyoka, and gogyohka

Posted over at d'Verse Poets Pub MTB

18 comments:

Carol J Forrester said...

I think you've summed things up pretty well in this.

Maggie C said...

Yup.

Jade Li said...

TOSSUP

Anthony Borderlines said...

The title already gave me a smile, and even as a Finn I fear there might be a second wave.. The Covid is pretty bad too. I wish you all the best and offer my sympathies and myself if someday this crowd gets the right idea to revolt.
I mean no disrespect, but many in Europe view USA as almost a third world country on parts.
I am horrified to hear of the things over there, that someone might go to work, but since medication is so expensive has to live in the car?
Here, if you can't afford the medication you need, it will be paid for you. As it is a basic human need a that point and the function of the society was and could be human well being once again.
It began there to go wrong when New York had to sell some management rights of the City to the banks in 1975, and today 'Austerity' is everywhere and loan is here if you just privatize all to corporations...
Sorry for the rant, just so simply insane all of this. you said it better! :-)

Frank Hubeny said...

Good question about the sense of humor during the Bubonic Plague. This is the only plague I've experienced up-close.

Frank J. Tassone said...

Your sequence sums up the biological devastation of Corona, and the political catastrophe that is the Trump administration's response to it. Perfect parody-pitch in your kyoka, with searing imagery in your tanka and gogyohka! Masterfully done, Glenn!

said...

Why don’t you run, Glenn? Would you be up for it?

indybev said...


I couldn't agree more. I've no doubt you could slice cakes with your sharp tongue, Glenn! Bravo

Truedessa said...

This man botches up everything he touches then he covers it up with some
bullsh**. Sorry, I cannot understand his allure, I think he has put his
followers under some evil spell. Hopefully, they will wake up soon...
This is not my usually positive comment but, when I read about all the
deaths it just breaks my heart.

Dwight L. Roth said...

Politics and poetry always seem to be intertwined at times and you have woven it very well in this one Glenn.

sarah said...

Ah, Glenn, you are so good at searing truths. Stay angry, it's justified.

Kim M. Russell said...

That photo makes me want to punch his stupid face! You have summed up the current POTUS perfectly – he’s ridiculous, dangerous and completely expendable, but nobody has the guts to topple him off his self-appointed throne. It’s up to Covid now, it treats everyone the same. Maybe it’s just waiting for the opportunity. If it offered Melania immunity, might she give it a hand?

Christine Irving said...

Oh yeah.

Kerfe said...

Definitely a toss up. The longer Trump is president, the more people and other living creature die. Four more years, we're approaching zero I think.

Helen said...

It is so good to read your poetry ... it's been way too long. Of course this is a perfect sign of the time.

Jane Dougherty said...

Nothing to disagree with there...

Pat R said...

Nailed it!

Pat

Paul Bauck said...

You nailed it!