Thursday, April 25, 2019

Patriot Act




image from Library of Congress


Patriot Act

A patriot is like a real friend who will always tell
you the truth. This country needs more of them.”
--Bill Maher.

Next for President,
someone who’s not bent;
we pray.
Twenty strong they run,
must get the job done;
some day.
Much diversity,
that might be the key;
he’ll pay.

Trump just has no smarts,
breaking all our hearts;
must stop.
Gerrymandering,
clever pandering;
let’s mop.
No morality,
illegality;
what’s up?

Xenophobia,
pure assholeia;
damn shame.
Perhaps fraudulent,
Always petulant;
the blame.
He’s narcissistic,
he goes ballistic;
no game.

Reach for horizons,
dreams by the dozens;
do it.
We have to vote blue,
does not matter who;
do it.
We have the power,
Trump’s stain to scour;
do it.

Does not help to bitch,
railing at the rich;
stop it.
Must see clearly now,
forget about the Dow;
do it.
It’s the ballot box,
where we will out-fox;
vote it. 



Glenn Buttkus

Lai

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub MTB

14 comments:

brudberg said...

May it be like this... but I doubt it... at least we don't have world war III yet. It could have been worse.

AnotherFearlessYear.net said...

You nailed the form perfectly on this one. Perfect rhyme scheme and clear message.

Grace said...

I have hope Glenn that from among the many a worthy one will emerge. I love that repetition of : do it. Vote for a better candidate next time around. You aced the form Glenn. Thanks for joining in.

indybev said...

You amaze me! No matter the difficulty of format, you take on "the trumpet" in scathing terms! Well done!

robkistner said...

Great job Glenn. Scald the hell out of Trumpzilla! I think I my be sitting out on this prompt. I am not a strong fan of “forms” to begin with, and this one just isn’t inspiring me just yet. Maybe? But you did a kick ass job on yours.

Dwight L. Roth said...

If I were running for president, I would want you on my campaign team!

Kim M. Russell said...

I admire your political poetry, Gelnn, which I am no good at, at all, and I’m amazed that you’ve achieved a political lai, well honed and sardonic. Your coined word ‘assholeia’ made me grin!

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Ah Glenn- from your mouth to God's ears (and those that vote). Well Done!

JIm Feeney said...

Good one Glenn, the right mix of exhortation and vitriol, excellent use of the form!

Sabio Lantz said...

Flawless and flowing. Your anti-Trump muse always sings loudly. I worry about the poor muse should we successfully get rid of him very soon. Smile

Jade Li said...

" Xenophobia,
pure assholeia;"
Truer lines never typed.
The part about "forget the Dow" is a biggie.
I pray electronic voting machine tampering doesn't make it a moot point. They've proven how easy they are to tamper with.
I enjoyed your lai. I wish it hadn't needed to be written.

robkistner said...

Good job Glenn, substance, meaning... nice work. Mine was rather light, very brief, about the artist Miró. They put me on a new med. I am losing my inspiration. Maybe it will return? You keep ragin’ bro!

robkistner said...

Hey dude! Haven’t seen any posts from you in a while. Everything OK?

purplepeninportland.com said...

This is as excellent as it is true. WAKE UP!