Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Getting Low



image from pinterest.com


Getting Low

“Drop the last two years into the silent limbo of
the past. Let it go, for it was imperfect.”
--Brooks Atkinson.

Like with the Twist
during the late 50’s,
Chubby Checker
did an album
of limbo dances.

Living during that decade,
when Elvis was King,
trying to be Brando,
of chrome-laden Detroit barges, 
leather jackets,
jeans with the cuffs rolled up,
and greasy locks,
things were not as halcyon
as most remember;

I mean,
we had Jim Crow,
George Wallace,
McCarthyism,
and Liberace.



Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub--Poetics

13 comments:

Jade Li said...

The good old days most often are shotgunned memories. Didn't Chubby also have a hit with The Twist?

brudberg said...

Oh the good old days where never really good where they?

robkistner said...

Then we can twist again like we did last summer... :-) Chubby Checker, I love it dude! And the neither the twist or the limbo were panaceas for what was the darkness during those times. Enjoyed thus bro...!

Frank Hubeny said...

I almost forgot about that dance. I now remember trying to do it.

indybev said...


Oh, Glenn, you never fail to entertain me. "chrome-laden Detroit barges" bwahahaha

Helene Vaillant said...

What a treat this is, the limbo and the twist. Chubby Checker... I twisted and twisted danced until my insides hurt. "Awap bop a lup bop a wop bam boom" and Tutti Fruiti... great post Glenn.

Dwight L. Roth said...

Yes we did... always in a state of limbo... our world and theirs!

Grace said...

Very entertaining and those were fun times Glenn. I played that limbo game.

Jane Dougherty said...

The West Indians were the limbo dancers were I lived. I don't know why they bcalled it limbo dancing...

Laura Bloomsbury said...

Liberace maybe has been confined to limbo now

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Trip down memory lane doing the limbo! Well done Glenn.

Candy said...

Liberace! That made me laugh out loud.

M said...

Oh, I was hoping someone would grab that tune - and so glad you did, Glenn. That last line cracks me up. Thanks for adding your voice ~