Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Exegesis




image from Wikipedia.


Exegesis

“Nations are born in the hearts of poets, and die
in the hand of politicians.”
--Muhammad Iqbal.

Sometimes
during daydreams,
REM or meditation,
I visualize my Higher Self,
my Soul Spark
as Gardharva,
there in Bardo,
wearing my rainbow
that reflected my past lives,
contemplating whether
I should move out, or back
into the cosmic continuum,
as spiritual guide or counselor,
or should I return once again
into the breech of another lifetime
on this plane of existence.

Choosing
to return to the fray
and adventure of humanity,
my HS would begin mapping
out the spread sheet of my next lifetime.

My most recent past life
had been one of
privilege, wealth and physical beauty.
My next venture,
it was decided, would be
one that included many obstacles
to surmount, some integrity to regain,
to be Caucasian, hirsute, poor vision,
poor skin, an imperfect immune system,
a cauldron for discontent,
and a fairly high IQ.

Then my Gandharva
would zero in on my mother,
a 16 year old free spirit,
who had an abortion at 15,
who was a singer and musician.
It was 1943, in October.
She was dating a paratrooper.
They’ve already had sex several times
in the back seat of his big black ’41 Buick.
Tonight was the spiritual target
for my conception.

It went well,
and my Higher Self
joined with a fertilized egg.
I developed within the womb normally,
and nine months later I was born,
at 12 minutes after midnight,
on June 14, 1944.
It was said that
I was born standing up,
looking for trouble.

Glenn Buttkus

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

5 comments:

Jade Li said...

Very interesting and entertaining post, Glenn. The thought of being able to choose what comes next is provocative. Question: how certain are you that something comes next? One of my co-workers swore he had an experience (forgot what it was) that convinced him there was an "afterlife." He seemed laid back and care free, even though I did see him lose his temper a few times. I just think if one knows with certainty there is an afterlife that it would make things here and now so much better. "Born standing up and looking for trouble" cracked me up. Reminds me of that "Back to the Future" movie where Uncle Joey was in his crib and they said he was practicing for being a jailbird lol

Dwight L. Roth said...

An interesting post! Those old cars had big back seats!! You were born standing up and haven't stopped since!!

Kim M. Russell said...

That’s a thought, Glenn, having total control over our souls and incarnations, being present at the moment of our own conception – no wonder you were ‘born standing up, looking for trouble’!

brudberg said...

I wonder what choices we would make... or how different the outcome would be. Maybe it's better to rely on chance (though there has been a great to be born whiteskinned)

Amaya said...

This was a wild ride to read right from the foreshadowing of "breech of another lifetime" and on through, where you've been, where you're going, whom you're coming through;) Even if it is absolutely true of your soul's karma, for some reason in our era of the reign of politicians, this would not be considered couth dinner-table-talk. I'm getting all my lifetimes done in one go though, and man is that hard!