Monday, November 25, 2019

Pilgrim's Prayer




image from wikipedia.com

Pilgrim’s Prayer

“Thankfulness may consist merely of words.
Gratitude is shown in acts.”--Henri Frederic Amiel.

In our home, as in many others, before we partake of
the Thanksgiving meal,  we go around the table and
allow everyone to share what they’re grateful for this
year. The little children are grateful for receiving 
sweets, treats and toys. The older children are 
thankful for Jesus, friends, and good grades. My
three daughters are thankful for their spouses, and
the spouses in turn are grateful for them. My wife is
grateful for her nine healthy grandchildren. I am very
thankful for my patriarchy and my wife. We say grace,
and then get after the holiday feast.

But I often wonder what each of us is truly grateful for--
our health, another dawn to greet, another day above
the ground, personal and professional success, how
many Facebook friends we have, our modest levels of
notoriety, the means to buy a new car every third year,
a mild winter, fellowship, loving pets, the greenest
lawn on the block, retirement, stimulating hobbies,
projects, and the like?

Beneath my own bombast and stentorian tones, I am
grateful for being able to live in a country where strong
dissent is both tolerated and stimulated. Even though
it feels like we are living through the Plague Years, and
the Hundred Years War, like with all things, the Trump
Era will pass, the light in Liberty’s torch will burn more
brightly, stability will stamp out chaos, and the American
Dream will be reinstated for immigrants. 

Can the zebra be
grateful for providing a
fine meal for a lion?



Glenn Buttkus

Haibun

Posted over at dVerse Poets Pub

12 comments:

brudberg said...

I love how gratefulness we dare to tell is maybe overshadowed by some more petty things that is maybe only told in the darkness... but we should be kind and that is a good thing

sarah said...

I like your different layers of gratitude - the "acceptable" gratitude that is actually a gift to someone else, the secret gratitude, and then the great gratitude of living in freedom. Nice structure.

tonispencer said...

I am still grateful for what I have always been grateful for - a family's love. And yes you still worked trumpler in there but at least today, you were optimistic.

robkistner said...

This is beautiful Glenn — and I sure as hell hope you are right.

Gillena Cox said...

OMG the haiku is stunning. A stirring haibun

Happy Monday

Much🌻love

Frank J. Tassone said...

I love how you contrast the imagery of the first "stanza" of prose with the suprising musings--and probably the more honest intentions--of the second. Hope is indeed the principle for which we should all feel gratitude.

Debi Swim said...

I do like what Sarah said and agree. I also love that haiku.

Dwight L. Roth said...

I believe you must have been Patrick Henry in your former life. :>)
A great Haibun leading up to the shocking climax!

Sabio Lantz said...


Glenn, as always, I love your smooth writing style and contrasting blunt content. I was grateful for while reading your poem in that a Trump rant did not appear in sight. But ah, you stayed true -- and then I had to look up the ironic word "bombast" -- a great word.

I don't think the "Trump Era" will pass, because it is not about one person -- just as I don't think the Putin, XI Jingping, Duterte or Oraban eras will "pass". Trump is the sign of underlying discontent which will divide us and express itself for decade and centuries to come. Well after you and I enjoy our "days above the ground". Your zebra Haiku shared a bit of the same message as my ending haiku.

Your family get-together sounds fun -- a proud patriarch indeed! (loved the unashamed politically incorrect boast) The sanctimony on the circle of thankfulness is something my children had to suffer when we were invited to another family's thanksgiving two years ago. Their telling of the story is funny -- reminds me of the supposed words of the Christian child-god in Matt 6:5.

Jenna said...

I enjoyed reading this, Glenn. You bring up a good point about what we are honestly grateful for.

Kerfe said...

The family ritual of Thanksgiving is one of its greatest gifts. Great quote, which you've enlarged with your words.

lynn__ said...

Patriarchs are vital to the family...as are matriarchs. Sounds like our family celebration :) Happy Thanksgiving, Glenn!