Tuesday, September 28, 2021

From Harry James to Santana



image from pinterest.com

 From Harry James to Santana


June 14, 1944--little Butch came into this world

kicking and screaming, as Harry James’ band

played I’LL GET BY; and I have.


As a two-year old in ’45, I began my SENTIMENTAL

JOURNEY with Doris Day; loved her freckles.


Turning four in ’48, I swayed to Nat King Cole and

NATURE BOY. I always wanted to be a mountain

man.


Becoming five in ’49, I remember singing along with

Vaughn Monroe for GHOST RIDERS IN THE SKY.

I still recall the lyrics.


When I was seven in ’51, I flipped out over HOW HIGH

THE MOON with Les Paul & Mary Ford. The guitar

became my favorite instrument.


Turning eleven in ’55, I swiveled my hips along with

Elvis and HEARTBREAK HOTEL, and became an

official Rock’N’Roller.


Starting high school at fourteen in ’58, I laughed at

Sheb Wooley’s PURPLE PEOPLE EATER. I never

did find any to eat myself.


At fifteen in ’59, I started liking Country Music thanks

to Johnny Horton and THE BATTLE OF NEW 

ORLEANS.


I was sixteen in ’60, loving the harmony of the

Everly Brothers and CATHY’S CLOWN. I knew

a Cathy. She was a cheerleader, and I never gave her

a chance to dump me.


Out of high school, being eighteen in ’62, I went to the

World’s Fair in Seattle, and saw Elvis making a movie.

I started to dig Ray Charles and I CAN’T STOP

LOVING YOU. 


Turning twenty-two in ’66, my mother died, I was

drafted, and The Rolling Stones sang PAINT IT

BLACK, and it was.


In ’68, when I was 24, I returned home to MRS.

ROBINSON by Simon & Garfunkel. Ironically,

I actually had an affair with a Mrs. Robinson.


Turning 25 in ’69, I returned to college, to kick-

start my dreams as the Beatles sang GET BACK.


When I was 29 in ’73, I became an Actor, that had

been one of my fantasies, as I listened to MY LOVE

by Paul McCartney.


By ’83, at 39, my career as an Actor was over, and

I turned my gaze to teaching,  as Irene Cara sang

WHAT A FEELING.


I turned 45 in ’89, a new bachelor (again), as my

“Pretend Wife” and “Practice Wife” faded, and

I knew someone else was in the mix as Bette

Midler sang WIND BENEATH MY WINGS.


I was 56 in 2000, and I loved listening to MARIA,

MARIA by Santana, realizing how much I missed

honest-to-God rock-and-roll.


With the rise of Rap, and all the overly produced

groups that all sounded the same to me, I quit

listening to music, and quit letting it be a 

landmark as birthdays marched along.



Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

12 comments:

lillianthehomepoet.wordpress.com said...

Oh Glenn....you made my day. I just read this aloud to my husband. FANTASTIC!!!! Memory lane indeed. So glad you enjoyed the prompt and obviously looked at the site and remembered so many of the songs that were #1 hits on your birthday. Some people have had trouble with the prompt, trouble accessing the site, so this, my friend. makes me incredibly happy!!!! Thank you thank you for really using the site and sharing these memories with us :) I must admit, when I saw that Goodnight Irene was one of the #1 hits on my birthday in my very early years....I was like yeah....I remember my folks singing this along with the music but it's sure not a title that inspires a poem for me! LOVE your post. THANK YOU!

JadeLi said...

You put a lot of time and work into your poem. I enjoyed the way you wove the song titles into your life events and what your age was as they were happening. 1966 is especially poignant.

Gillena Cox said...

Wow!!! You nailed it.

MuchπŸ’–love

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Loved your musical biography. I know how you feel about the music today - the joke goes: have you ever noticed how music starts to suck around age 35? Thanks for sharing.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

A most stunning, stunning poem, Glenn!πŸ’ I so enjoyed this part; "Turning eleven in ’55, I swiveled my hips along withElvis and HEARTBREAK HOTEL, and became anofficial Rock’N’Roller. Starting high school at fourteen in ’58, I laughed atSheb Wooley’s PURPLE PEOPLE EATER. I neverdid find any to eat myself."πŸ’

indybev said...

You wrote a mini autobiography and brought back some wonderful tunes along with it! I enjoyed every minute Glenn. Bravo!

robkistner said...

A tour d’force brother, I would expect nothing less — so well done dude? I went bzck to the night of my 18th birthday. I remember it well for many reasons. I became old enough to drink. My favorite song, and one that my singing partner and I kicked ass on, had just hit #1? And thry through a big party for me at the club. Our back-up band! Leroy & The Emeralds had sll the waitresses come up on stage to sing happy birthday and give me birthday kisses. I did not share my fondest memory from that night in the poem. She was a 27-year-old waitress from there at the Flamingo Club named Gina… 😜 …I guess you might say she was my final birthday kiss. 😏

LSSAttitudeofGratitude said...

This was amazing. Such a terrific use of the songs of your life.

ben Alexander said...

Glenn, I was born in the late 70's, but I agree with you about music - your last stanza is spot on... I prefer all the songs you listed to today's music by far!

Yours,
David

sillyfrog said...

Time marches on whether we sing, dance, or shuffle, doesn't it?
Wonderful post!

brudberg said...

I was all there with you with your journey some ot the music I have picked up later such as Stones (that I saw live in 82)... I still listen to some new music (Billie Eilish and Lans del Rey for instance)... I saw Santana live a few years after Maria Maria...

The Bytesized Studio said...

A stellar rendition of your life through musical memories, very similar to the first piece I shared for this prompt. I loved how you wove the songs through your experiences of them. Bravo, well done.