Tuesday, September 21, 2021

I Got Your Fruit



image from pinterest.com

 I Got Your Fruit


“Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit,

Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

--Brian O’Driscoll.


Poetry

can be the fruit of my mind,

or it can be lost words

lining a bird cage.

When it is about fruit,

I have no idea where that can lead.


Like it’s always

kind of bothered me

that underwear can be called

Fruit of the Loom. 

I get the weaver’s loom reference,

but it still bugs me 

to have apples and grapes

near the crack in my butt.


The company started

in 1851 in Rhode Island.

Makes me smile

thinking about cowboys

in red long johns

with that label on them.


There seems to have been,

a biblical connection;

fruit of the womb, and such.

I suspect that my three daughters

are the fruit of my loin,

from that aspect.

They make sports bras now too,

which i can dig, since

breast size can vary

from small grapefruits

to large melons.


I recall a joke from the 50’s,

What do you call a gay bar that has no chairs?

A fruit stand,

badda-boom.

Why do they call gay guys fruits?

Perhaps

they are a tad too sweet.



Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub




10 comments:

JadeLi said...

Glenn, you put that cornucopia through its paces, giving the reader lessons, lechery, and laughter.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is such a brilliant, thoughtful write, Glenn! I especially like; "I recall a joke from the 50’s,What do you call a gay bar that has no chairs?A fruit stand,badda boom.Why do they call gay guys fruits?Perhapsthey are a tad too sweet." Haha ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’

indybev said...

I love your humorous exploration of Fruit of the Loom, Glenn. An odd moniker I'd never really thought about before....but now I shall!

robkistner said...

Excellent send up of Mish’s prompt — snd damned well written!

Mish said...

You went your own way on this one, sir. Bravo! Its funny...I was so sure you'd choose option 2 that I could almost hear it. Thanks for the humour and history of Fruit of the Loom!!

Gillena Cox said...

๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ very etertaining poem
Luv the O’Driscoll quote
Much๐Ÿ’–love

Mrityunjay Dixit said...

Nice poem. Many things I didn't know. Thanks for sharing!

Dr. Vandana Sharma said...

This must have been a fun write! the cartoon goes well with the poem too.

brudberg said...

Fruit of the loin made me laugh... maybe your underwear played a part in that too. Never knew about Fruit of the Loom until I was in the US for the first time in 1979 and bought a packet of white t-shirts on sale.

ben Alexander said...

Glenn, you are so darn'd funny :D

Keep 'em coming - this was terrific.

Yours,
David