Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Sidekick



image of Wyatt Earp

 Sidekick


“Taciturn black characters have been the sidekick 

for too long--it’s time for us to take the lead.’

Paul Robeson.


My name is Bart Jason. I know you never heard of 

me, but I’ll tell you what, I led a hell of a colorful life.

I’m looking at a 1950 Cadillac sitting in my Los

Angeles driveway. I’ve just celebrated my 75th

birthday, which is special since I was born in

1875 in Seattle.


My Dad was a lumberjack and my Mom was a 

school teacher. I was 14 when the “Great Seattle 

Fire” happened in 1889. We sat on our farm on 

Queen Anne Hill and watched the inferno for two 

long days. I grew up loving boxing and Western 

pulp magazines. Kit Carson, Wyatt Earp, Wild Bill 

Hickok, and Bat Masterson were my heroes. Being 

young and left-handed I really adored Billy the Kid. 

They were all heroes to me.


In 1896 they struck gold in the Yukon. Seattle became

a new metropolis as the kicking off spot for Alaska. 

Alaska called out to me for years. I worked hard and 

saved up a stake, and finally in 1900, I boarded a

steamer for Skagway. I made it to Dawson City, nearly

drowning when the overcrowded ferry capsized on the

Klondike River. Then I heard about Nome, the new El

Dorado, and soon I was hell bent north. 


Nome was two blocks wide, and five miles long, feeling

a lot like Deadwood. I found out plenty quick that only

the Saloon and brothel owners were getting rich. The

first two story building in town was the Dexter Saloon,

a first class gambler’s den, with a clean brothel up-

stairs. Being 6’5” tall, and handy with my dukes, I got

a job as a bouncer immediately. I nearly shit myself in

delight when I found out the owner was Wyatt Earp. His

wife, Josephine, ran the brothel. Wyatt took a liking to me

right off, treating me like his son. All the swells visited the

Dexter. I got to meet Jack London and Rex Beach.


In 1908, the Earps moved to Tonopah, Nevada and

opened up another Saloon. I tagged along with them. 

So in 1911, we all moved to Los Angeles, California. 

We raised horses and oranges. By 1920, Wyatt had

become friends with a bunch of the silent movie

cowboys, especially Tom Mix and William S. Hart.

He was quite a celebrity with that crowd. John Ford,

Harry Carey, Buck Jones and Ken Maynard were all

guests in his ranch house. I became a stunt man and

a wrangler. 


I was 54 in 1929 when Wyatt passed away at 80. 

He had a real Hollywood send-off. Then came the

Depression. I was damn lucky to be entrenched

with the drugstore cowboys, so I stayed employed

through the worst of it. 


Yeah, probably you never heard of me, but I’ll bet

you would like to sit with me on my back porch in 

Tarzana, sipping cold beer, and looking at my

tattered scrapbooks.


Glenn Buttkus


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

13 comments:

Brendan said...

Always the guy in the picture standing silently to the side has the greatest tale never told -- you did it here.

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Would I ever!! This is a gorgeously woven narrative poem, Glenn!💝 I love the intricate details which give the reader a glimpse into his colourful life, from "Western pulp magazines," to "the Great Depression," I felt as though I was walking, witnessing right through his eyes. An awesome rocking of the prompt! *applauds*💝

indybev said...

I think I have some distant connection here. My aunt married an off-shoot of the Earp family tree. Your tale was a fascinating read.

Tricia said...


Love the voice in this and the fact that we now finally have the tale of Bart Jason! 👏👏

Grace said...

Would have told us all a great story of course. Good one Glenn!

JadeLi said...

Glenn, if ever a screenplay needed to be written about anyone, it's Bart Jason. You as as consummate Western writer, would be the perfect one to do it. The time is right, my friend!

Ingrid said...

I was captivated by your tale and by the voice of Bart Jason, Glenn. I would very much love to hear more of his stories. Fine work on the prompt!

Kim M. Russell said...

The narrative voice of the sidekick came through loud and clear in your words, and your character emerged as large as his colourful life. I enjoyed the historical background, the names from the Wild West I remember from childhood, and the description of the saloon. I think you must have been a gunslinger in a previous life, Glenn.

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Your story is captivating Glenn!

brudberg said...

Where would the world be without the unknown bystander who keeps all the tales... you please let me share a beer with someone like this.

Ken / rivrvlogr said...

I'll bet he has even more tales to tell

robkistner said...

This is your element bro! Splendid Glenn, simply splendid writing. This was so damned engaging that I was thoroughly bummed when it ended, This was a grand slam, completely over the laundry beyond the left field fence. ‘Course — that only makes sense if you’re a Cincinnati Redlegs fan whose familiar with Crosley Field. If not, well — I’m sayin’ this was great!

Marion Horton said...

If you told me Bart Johnson is real I would believe it - and I'd definitely want to hear more of his stories.