Monday, May 10, 2021

Skeptic



image from Wikipedia.com

 Skeptic


“You could prove anything’s real if the only basis for

believing it is that nobody’s proved, it doesn’t exist.”

--J.K. Rowling.


Sunday I met with friend, Robin Rouse, who is a 

retired English professor, a hedonist and nihilist.

He communicates in literary-speak.

Me: Are you alright? You look terrible.

Rob: Tis the result of selfish excess, when impulse

trumps reason.

Me: What did you do last night?

Rob: Twas in my cups, boyo, clear moonshine, and

I played with my .38.

Me: Playing with it?

Rob: Russian-kissing, cold steel in my mouth; click, 

click.

Me: Was it loaded?

Rob: Of course.

Me: Are you tired of living?

Rob: Probably.

Me: You have a lot to live for--like your family.

Rob: Do I? Keel-hauled, divorced for a decade.

Only mouths are we. Who sings the distant heart

which safely exists in the center of all things?

Me; Bastard, you know who.



Glenn Buttkus


Prosery


Posted over at d'Verse Poet's Pub

15 comments:

Sanaa Rizvi said...

I love this! The conversational tone of this prose piece works wonders with the mysticism of the line by Rilke. I am envisioning the scene, the hedonist seated opposite of the Poet and the tete-a-tete that follows. I find it thrilling at times to engage with people who have different views and opinions, it serves as great fodder for writing. Thank you so much for adding your voice to the prompt, Glenn 💝💝

the Lonely Recluse said...

I can think of more than a few folk like this. Brilliantly written characters. Thank you

brudberg said...

I can see how you might get tired at the end of a journey... your conversation reminds me of a book by Graham Greene I read many years ago called "Doctor Fischer of Geneva or the Bomb Party"... I do not remember it all, but there is something about that Russian Roulette which reminds of the narrator in that book.

Gillena Cox said...

OMG is he nuts, kissing the cold steel.
Thanks for dropping by to read mjne Glen

Much💚love

Merril D. Smith said...

I can imagine this as a scene in a play. The professor would probably only be in this scene. . .but you would go on with the rest of the play. It was clever to note that the professor spoke that way to work in the prompt line.

Helen said...

Great write. Great.

ben Alexander said...

Glenn, I love your intellectual alcoholic character - he's so vibrant in my mind!

Well done!

Yours,
David

Dwight L. Roth said...

Sounds like your friend is more than ready to leave this world. I love the contrast in speaking in your conversation. Well done.

JadeLi said...

I don't know if Robin Rouse is a real person or not, I tend to think he or she is. I find great value in this story for lots of reasons, but the main one is as a talisman to keep Robin alive.

Glenn your poetry breathes with organic life!

p.s. I still want to read your tree poems!

Ingrid said...

Poor Robin! It does sound like he needs a healthy dose of realism!

Kim M. Russell said...

I enjoyed the way you used your acting and screenwriting skills to tease this tricky prompt into an ironic philosophical two-hander, Glenn.

Marion Horton said...

Great characterisation and script - and skilful way to include the lines from Rilke.

Susan said...

Awesome! [applause]
Your character was a result of creative genius. Guess I liked your post, huh? lol

Linda Lee Lyberg said...

Wow Glenn- I really love this! It's a powerful story.

robkistner said...

Brilliant my brother! I wanted so badly to join in that conversation. I’d not pass the munitions around, but I’d love to blow my brains out with loaded skepticism. I am a reformed skeptic who backslides on command — because god’s away on business, business!