Friday, June 11, 2010

No One Listens


No One Listens

For fifty years, one passion.
Bought wherever love was sold.
A turn, a glance.
The water-spider glides on it.
Under, small fish.
Above, the scent of
bay trees rustling.
The un-famous.
She is led,
allows it out of tradition.
Carrying the vision
in her heart.
A turn, a glance that no one buys.
Below, sleeping shepherds.
Above, the naked feet.
The hem of her red dress.
"Lead me to paradise" is
the refrain she sings.
Dump a bucket of water
on the cement. Sweeps with
a greek broom. No one
arrives for all the years
to step on the drying floor.
The door open.

Linda Gregg

from "All of it Singing".

1 comment:

Jannie Funster said...

"Bought whereever love was sold" that seemed odd to me, but I really liked all else in the poem.

I guess I do not understand it as it was written.

I picture an old lady marreid 50 years, who's husband has passed on, yet she is happy.

xo