Monday, November 22, 2010

Fire Dreams

Image borrowed from Yahoo


Fire Dream

I could see it as I soared over the neighborhood,
arms outstretched, flying skytio and planeless;
the whole block was on fire, hundred foot flames
holding hands in ten different colors, greeting
three battalions of firefighters converging
from all sides.

The smoke was acrid, awakening me
black and gray, tasting the fireplace ash
thick in the back of my throat, my lungs
aching with nuclear sauna heat--

lurching low out of bed, finding
house slippers as I hit the floor,
grabbing the leg of my levis hanging
there on the footboard, hearing the
thunk of my car keys in a front pocket,
squirming fast on my belly
like a soldier in boot camp
with machine guns spitting fire tracers
over his head, elbows pumping frantically,
nightshirt pulled up over my nose,
eyes burning and watering,
no longer guides--

quickly into the hallway, precious yards
from the back door, pushing, crawling,
coughing, seconds more until
the unsnapping of the lock,
the joyous click of the handle turning--

escape to my deck, sitting up and pulling
on my pants, hearing glass break
and cans exploding, ecstatic that my wife
was at her mother’s for the weekend,
and our tomcat was outside on his
nightly adventure, feeling the intense heat
on my back as I stood up, turned
and faced the magma behemoth
that was tearing the juggler out of our home--

lighting up our family room window
like a New Year’s party, flame demons
rushing to every corner, devouring
furniture, curtains, albums, books, and the
knick-knacks of thirty years accumulation,
carrying out the terrible sentencing of random
trauma, the complete destruction of things material--

as the night became alive with colored rotating
lights and sirens, diesel engines throbbing,
air horns blasting, and moving off the deck
to a corner of the yard I began to shiver
with the weight of beginning again.

Glenn Buttkus

November 2010


Would you like to hear the Author read this poem?

9 comments:

Paul Bauck said...

Wow! This gave me chills.
Paul

Jean Sullivan said...

Your dream . . . someone else’s reality . . . I lurched through this a top speed, feeling the flames licking at my mind.

Jean

Tess Kincaid said...

Wow, what a nightmare. I've never dreamed of fire, but my scariest are of tornadoes...wide, mammoth F5s, slender, twisting sisters...coming right for the house, in vivid technicolor.

Your pieces really come to life when you read them, Glenn.

Jean At Home said...

Thanks for the link to this site, Glenn. I loved hearing you read Fire Dreams.

Arne Zaslove said...

A dream or did it happen?

Tess Kincaid said...

Yikes, what a dream. Love hearing you read. Glad you got the DivShare kinks worked out. xx

Tess

Paul Bauck said...

've saved the link. We are enjoying reading your work! You're an awesome writer my friend.
Paul

Kristine Johnson said...

HAPPY THANKSGIVING... I am assuming that because you sent this "dream" via email (as if nothing truly happened)... that all is well with your life and home. Please let me know if your home is actually gone. That would be devastating beyond my imagination. . . Love, K

Lynne Rees said...

Glen: Really vivid and energetic description. For me, there's a problem of balance with the poem. Most of the poem is given over to the escape, with only the last line offering any dramatic release, or insight. So I don't really 'feel' the emotion of 'beginning again' as I think the reader should.
Lynne