Thursday, November 18, 2010

Good Omen

Image by Shann Olsen


Good Omen

I was talking to myself about you the other day,
we were wondering what became of you.

Friend Owl, Bambi, 1942


1.
A few weeks ago, I was returning to my favorite corner spot in the leather sectional, which I fondly refer to as "my nest", in the sitting room off the kitchen, when a handsome older buck, king of the forest, a huge eight point rack, like antennae to higher powers, lifted his head from munching near the window, and met my gaze.

He looked at me, through the window, for what seemed to be minutes, with kind, intuitive eyes, and I felt as if we were old, dear friends. This moment of fresh, gentle love will stay tucked in a special cupboard of my mind's eye, a gift not to be forgotten.

2.
A few weeks ago, I was returning
to my favorite corner spot in the leather sectional,
which I fondly refer to as "my nest",
in the sitting room off the kitchen,
when a handsome older buck,
king of the forest,
a huge eight point rack,
like antennae to higher powers,
lifted his head from munching near the window,
and met my gaze.

He looked at me, through the window,
for what seemed to be minutes,
with kind, intuitive eyes,
and I felt as if we were old, dear friends.
This moment of fresh, gentle love
will stay tucked
in a special cupboard of my mind's eye,
a gift not to be forgotten.

Tess Kincaid

Posted over on her site Willow Manor
1. Willow's poetic prose.
2. Line breaks by Glenn Buttkus

No comments: