Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tracey Keeps Taking On

Image borrowed from Yahoo

Tracey Ullman (born 30 December 1959) is a British-born stage and television actress, comedienne, singer, dancer, screenwriter and author.

Her early appearances were on British TV sketch comedy shows A Kick Up the Eighties (with Rik Mayall and Miriam Margolyes) and Three of a Kind (with Lenny Henry and David Copperfield). She also appeared as Candice Valentine in Girls On Top with Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders.

She emigrated from the UK to the US and created her own network television series, The Tracey Ullman Show, from 1987 until 1990, from which The Simpsons was spun off in 1989. She later produced programs for HBO, including Tracey Takes On..., for which she has won numerous awards. She has also appeared in several feature films. Ullman's most recent sketch comedy series, Tracey Ullman's State of the Union, ran from 2008—2010 on Showtime.

Ullman was born Trace Ullman in Slough, Buckinghamshire (now in Berkshire), the daughter of Dorin and Antony Ullman, a solicitor. Ullman later recalled, "My real name is Trace Ullman, but I added the 'y.' My mother said it was spelled the American way, but I don't think she can spell! I always wanted a middle name. My mum used to tell me it was Mary but I never believed her. I looked on my birth certificate and I didn't have one, just Trace Ullman." Ullman's mother was British and her father was a Polish soldier evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940, subsequently working as a furniture salesman and travel agent. When she was six, Ullman's father died of a heart attack while reading her a bedtime story. He was 50 years old. In an effort to cheer up her family, Tracey recounts putting on shows in her mother's bedroom, performing alongside her older sister, Patty. That first show was entitled The Patty Ullman Show. "I was a spin-off!" recalled Ullman. In her nightly performances she mimicked anyone and everyone, including neighbours, family members, friends, even celebrities. Soon after, Ullman's mother remarried.

At the age of 12, a headmaster saw Ullman's future potential, and recommended her to the Italia Conti Academy stage school. Although the school gave Ullman her first taste of the stage, she does not look back on it fondly.

At the age of 16, Ullman began finding jobs as a dancer, and soon landed a role in Gigi in Berlin. Upon returning to England, she joined the "Second Generation" dance troupe. She also began appearing in variety shows.

The exposure led to her casting in numerous West End musicals, including Grease, and The Rocky Horror Show.[6] During this time Ullman was cast in a play at London's Royal Court Theatre for an improvised play about club acts. Entering the competition, Ullman created the character Beverly, a born-again Christian chanteuse. The performance was a big hit and she won the "Best Newcomer Award". The BBC became interested and offered her the chance to star in her own show. In 1983, Ullman took part in the workshops for Andrew Lloyd-Webber's upcoming musical, Starlight Express, playing the part of Pearl.

Emmy Awards
Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Program
1988 The Tracey Ullman Show
Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program
1990 The Tracey Ullman Show
Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program
1990 Best of The Tracey Ullman Show
1994 Tracey Takes On New York
Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series
1992 Love & War
1999 Ally McBeal
Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Series
1997 Tracey Takes On

Ullman married producer Allan McKeown on 27 December 1983; they have two children, Mabel Ellen McKeown (born 1986) and John Albert Victor McKeown (born 1991). Ullman announced in 2005 her intention of becoming an American citizen; she became one in December 2006. In 2006, Ullman topped the list for the "Wealthiest British Comedians", with an estimated wealth of £75 million.

As I get older, I just prefer to knit.
Tracey Ullman

As you get older, you realize it's work. It's that fine line between love and companionship. But passionate love? I'd love to know how to make that last.
Tracey Ullman

Every character I do is based on someone I know.
Tracey Ullman

I don't get very involved in the L.A. scene. When you do get invited out, you are expected to be on all the time. It's just wearying.
Tracey Ullman

I hate clowns.
Tracey Ullman

I hope I never get so hard up I have to do advertisements. I've gotten ridiculous offers.
Tracey Ullman

I like going to France, because no one knows who I am.
Tracey Ullman

I like infomercials.
Tracey Ullman

I love John Waters. There's stuff in it that's beyond the boundaries of my taste, but his movies have always been like that.
Tracey Ullman

I loved the late Gilda Radner. I love Carol Burnett and Lily Tomlin.
Tracey Ullman

I never wanted to do political satire because it seems too surface to me.
Tracey Ullman

I think serial monogamy says it all.
Tracey Ullman

I used to dress up and impersonate our next-door neighbor, Miss Cox. She wore rubber boots, a wool hat, and her nose always dripped.
Tracey Ullman

I wish I could believe that one person could make a difference.
Tracey Ullman

I worked with Paul McCartney for a while and saw what it does to you to be treated like a god for twenty years.
Tracey Ullman

I'm as famous as I want to be.
Tracey Ullman

I'm not a crazy, party-going sort of person.
Tracey Ullman

I'm still that little girl who lisped and sat in the back of the car and threw vegetables at the back of her head when we drove home from the market. That never goes.
Tracey Ullman

I'm usually put off by performers when they get political.
Tracey Ullman

I've never looked ahead very much in my life. I've never had any grand plan from the outset. I had no burning ambition to do what I do.
Tracey Ullman

No comments: