Monday, December 17, 2007

Movie Quotes I





For me, since movies have been such a gargantuan part of my life, saving movie quotes, and re-reading them is loads of fun. Following are some of my favorites:

"Being crazy about a woman...is always the right thing to do. But getting old, and being a decrepit old bag of bones...that's ridiculous."
Ben Johnson in THE LAST PICTURE SHOW (1971)

"Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life. My life. All he wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where do I come from ? Where am I going ? How long have I got ?"
Harrison Ford about Rutget Hauer in BLADE RUNNER (1982)

" You look ridiculous in that make-up. Like the caricature of a whore. A little touch of Mommy in the night. Fake Ophelia drowned in a bathtub. I wish you could see yourself. You'd really laugh. You are your mother's masterpiece."
Marlon Brando speaking to the corpse of his deadwife, post-suicide in THE LAST TANGO IN PARIS (1972)

"Henry's bed is Henry's province. He can people it with sheep for all I care- and often does." Katherine Hepburn about Peter O'Toole in LION IN WINTER (1968)

"You are beautiful in your wrath ! I shall keep you, Bortai ! I shall keep you, and in responding to my passions, your hatred will kindle into love."
John Wayne as Temujin, to Susan Hayward in THE CONQUEROR (1956)

"I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his dick in his hand."
James Caan about Al Pacino in THE GODFATHER (1972)

"Blues ain't nothing but a good man feeling bad."
Joe Seneca in CROSSROADS (1986)

"In this town, I'm the leper with the most fingers."
Jack Nicholson in THE TWO JAKES (1990)

Gaugin: "What I see when I look at your work is just that you work too fast."
Van Gogh: " You look too fast !"
Anthony Quinn and Kirk Douglas in LUST FOR LIFE (1956)

"Of course, as far as I am concerned, Art is just a guy's name."
Rock Hudson in MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION (1954)

"I'm not looking for Miss Right. I am looking for Miss Right Now !"
Kenneth Branagh DEAD AGAIN (1991)

"Go ahead, put Christmas in your eyes and keep your voice low. Tell me about paradise and all the things I'm missing. I haven't had a good laugh since before Johnny was murdered. I am not the type that tears do anything to. Maybe the trouble is I don't appreciate the finer things in life. Like looking at a doll cry, and taking the rap for a murder she committed. Did you think I fell for that fancy tripe you gave me ? It's not a new story, baby...you killed him. Why lie ?"
Humphrey Bogart to Liz Scott in DEAD RECKONING (1947)

"I used to go to pieces. I'd see an accident like that and feel so weak inside I'd want to quit, to stop the car and get out. I could hardly make myself go past it. But I'm older now. When I see something really horrible, I put my foot down- because I know everybody else is lifting his." Yves Montand in GRAND PRIX (1966)

" You bastard !"
"Yes, sir. With me an accident of birth. But you, you're a self-made man."
Lee Marvin and Ralph Bellamy in THE PROFESSIONALS (1966)

"Most people don't ever have to face the fact that in the right place, at the right time, they are capable of anything."
John Huston in CHINATOWN (1974)

"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize."
Olympia Dukakis in STEEL MAGNOLIAS (1989)

"It wasn't a miscarriage. It was an abortion, Michael, just like our marriage is an abortion, something unholy and evil."
Diane Keaton to Al Pacino in THE GODFATHER, PART II (1974)

"Put in hours of planning. Figure everything down to the last detail. Then what ? Burglar alarms start going off all over the place for no sensible reason. A gun fires of its own accord and a man is shot. And a broken down old cop, no good for anything but chasing kids, has to trip over us. Blind accident. What can you do against blind accidents ?"
Sam Jaffe in THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950)

"Eight days ago you showed up half-stoned for a simple nephrectomy, botched it, put the patient in failure and damned near killed him. Then, pausing only to send your bill, you flew off." George C. Scott to Richard Dysart in THE HOSPITAL (1971)

"This ain't the spot for the school girl act. The pair of us are sitting under the gallows." Humphrey Bogart to Mary Astor in THE MALTESE FALCON (1941)

"Watson, let me advise you. If you ever consider taking up another profession, never think of becoming an actor."
Basil Rathbone to Nigel Bruce in PURSUIT TO ALGIERS (1945)

"Every now and then some elder statesman of the theater or cinema assures the public that actors and actresses are just plain folks. Ignoring the fact that their greatest attraction to the public is their complete lack of resemblence to normal human beings."
George Sanders in ALL ABOUT EVE (1950)

"Go on live ? I can't go on live ! I'm a movie star-not an actor."
Peter O'Toole in MY FAVORITE YEAR (1982)

"I like women, but I don't admire them."
Charlie Chaplin in MONSIEUR VERDOUX (1947)

"Look at the way he moves-like a dancer. And those fingers, those chubby fingers. And that stroke-like he's playing a violin or something."
Paul Newman about Jackie Gleason in THE HUSTLER (1961)

"Let me give you one word of fatherly advice-never give a sucker an even break."
William Claude Dunkinfield aka W.C.Fields in POPPY (1936)

"Let me give you some advice. You can forget that literature...and philosophy. You've never seen a philospher making fifty grand a year, or driving a car like this. Hell, Socrates rode around on the back of a donkey."
Richard Crenna to Matt Dillon in THE FLAMINGO KID (1984)

"Get down off the cross, honey, someone needs the wood."
Dolly Parton in STRAIGHT TIME (1992)

"I've always like older men. Look at Roosevelt, look at Churchill, look at that old fellow, what's his name, in the AFRICAN QUEEN-absolutely crazy about him."
Lauren Bacall to William Powell in HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE (1953)

"This is my last ascending summer-everything from now on is just downhill...to the grave." Joanne Woodward playing the 35 years old teacher in RACHEL, RACHEL (1968)

"Ive aged, Sidney. There are new lines on my face. I look like a brand-new steel-belted radial tire."
Maggie Smith to Michael Caine in CALIFORNIA SUITE (1978)

"Piss on them for their self-satisfying talk about old age. They think they ain't going to get old ? Ha !They just have to wait a while, that's all. It don't take any talent to get old."
Melvyn Douglas to Alan Alda in THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN (1979)

"Middle age means the middle, Ethel. The middle of life. People don't live to be 150...You're old, and I'm ancient."
Henry Fonda to Katherine Hepburn in ON GOLDEN POND (1981)

" Look, I would go out with women my own age, but there are no women my age."
George Burns in 18 AGAIN! (1988)

Glenn 2007

No comments: